Depending on your requirements you may only want to keep user accounts for a specific amount of time. After which time you will want to delete and erase user information from your portal.
This is the initial stage of removing users from the platform. User accounts can only be deleted once they have been archived, and users who have been deleted (but not erased) can be restored if necessary.
If you need to restore deleted users check out this article Restore Deleted Users
Deleted users will no longer appear on the main platform, but will still be included in billing statistics with their . Archived users can be deleted either manually, or automatically (by domain) after a specified period. The automated process can be configured to send an email to contacts for each domain that has had users deleted.
The final step is to erase the accounts manually - Check out this card to learn how to erase users. Erasing Users
Manually selecting users to be deleted.
- Click on Management Console at the top of your homepage and Click on User Management from the right-hand-side menu called ‘Management Console’.
- Follow the instructions found on how to search for the account or accounts you would like to update. Remember to search for Archived accounts.
- a) To delete one user click on the account in the search results, you will be presented with the attributes page. Click the Delete User button at the bottom right.
b) To delete multiple users make sure your chosen users are added to your selection, the number of accounts that are currently within your selection will show in the right-hand-side menu highlighted in red. Choose the option to Delete archived users.
- Clicking on this option will bring up a page displaying a table of users selected for deletion, with a 'Delete' button at the bottom. Unchecking the checkboxes next to individual users will stop them from being deleted when the 'Delete' button is clicked.
- Upon manual deletion of user(s): if the deletion is successful, the user search page will appear. If the deletion is unsuccessful, a prompt will appear with the message 'User operation not performed'.
Automated Deletion Settings
To set up automated deletion your self you will have to have specific permissions to edit domains. If you do not have this permission you will need to speak to your Customer Success Manager.
- Click on Management Console at the top of your homepage and Click on User Configuration from the right-hand-side menu called ‘Management Console’.
- Search for the user domain you want to set up automated deletion on and click on the domain name
- Choose the User deletion. Clicking on this option will bring up the ‘Delete Settings’ form for the selected domain.
- Enter a value for the Delete interval (months after archive date). Valid values for the number of months are 1 - 120; entering any other value will result in a prompt being displayed. When the user clicks on ‘Update’, users associated with the current domain will be deleted the specified number of months after they were archived*.
If the user clears the value in the ‘Delete interval’ field and clicks on the ‘Update’ button, users associated with the current domain will no longer be automatically deleted.
Note: If the Delete setting fails to update for any reason, a message will appear in a red box at the bottom of the screen, saying “Delete scheduled task not updated”.
The system can be configured to automatically send an email to the primary contacts for each domain that has had users deleted. This requires the specification of both domain contacts and a template for the email. You will need specific permissions to enable this. Speak to your Customer Success Manager if you require access.
Creation of email template
To create a template for the notification email, click on the 'Email communications' option in the Management Console menu. This will bring up the 'Add template email' page where details such as the Subject can be filled in. The template Message can contain placeholder tags (in square brackets) which will be replaced with the appropriate data at the time of sending:
|[siteId]||Site of deleted users|
|[domainName]||Domain of deleted users|
|[dateTime]||Date/time of deletion|
For more information check out this article Creating email templates
Select a domain from the "Manage domains" page, and click on the 'Contacts' option in the 'Edit domain' menu. This will bring up the contacts page, where email contacts can be specified for the selected domain. Search to find the user account you want to set as a contact. Then set as the Primary Contact only and click the Add contact button.
If the appropriate email template has been created, this can also be selected from the dropdown, Click the Save button. Note that both the email template and at least one contact must be specified for the email to be sent.
Consequences of User Deletion
- Deleted users can no longer be searched for in 'User Management', and will not appear or be counted in any reports under 'Management information'.
- The 'Administrator activity' option in the 'Edit user' menu shows records of activity for a selected user. All references to deleted users in this page will be anonymised as shown below:
- The 'Administrator activity' option in the 'Management Information' menu reports activity for all users and specified actions. All references to deleted users in this page will be anonymised as shown below
*The query to delete users may run overnight especially if there are a large number of users to initially delete.